Sunday, February 15, 2009

Mendoza, and now; Chile

Mendoza homes the second highest peak outside of the Himmalayas; Aconcauga which is almost 7000 m. Would loved to have climbed that baby, but due to lack of money (going with a guided group would have cost about 3000 dollars plus plus plus) and climbing partners (aint quite ready to run up there by myself) I will have to do it a bit later. Anyone interested?
However, I got to squize in a 2 day trek in the park with Bruno from Argentina. Where the second day we went up to Plaza Francia at 4200 meters and walked in total 13 hr. Beautiful weather, beautiful mountain and great walk!

<--Sign found at base camp. Nice combination with the 200 dollar fine you will get if you don't use the public toilets in the park, which is pretty much one at the start and two next to each other one placein the park... extreme trekking.



My last day in Mendoza I spent on a bike (with a basket but without breaks) cycling through the wine district. At the first winery I met Suzanna from Holland and Mike and Jeremy from England who I got to be friends with for the day. Wine tour was apparently a good combination with night bus journey as the bus driver had to come and wake me up and get me out when everyone had left the bus and got their luggage in Valparaiso yesterday morning. So now I am in Chile. Was supposed to leave for Pucon tomorrow, but due to a great hostel with amazing beds (no bunk beds thank god! I have most likely acquired a permanent head injury after banging my head on the top bunk x number of times) I've decided to spend one more day here.

No comments: